GPRS unreliable: long lasting connection fail

Andrew Stephen andrew.stephen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 10:14:13 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Niccolo Rigacci <niccolo at rigacci.org> wrote:

[snip]
> Please tell me: with gsm0710uxd the connection is still done by
> pppd/chat?

Yes - gsm0710muxd creates a new serial device for each application
needing access to the GSM device.  You just call pppd with its own
device.
[snip]

> I hope to last 12 hours or so, because I do GPS live tracking
> with position upload to the internet every 5/10 seconds.
[snip]

I've run GPRS for several hours at a time in a car travelling in some
dodgy reception areas.  Sometimes it seemsed to lose connection and
re-establish itself gracefully but more often than not I'd find that
GPRS had died and pppd was still up but ineffective.  I usually had to
reboot the FR before I could re-establish connection when this
happened.
--
Andrew Stephen
http://www.evil.geek.nz/

It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either
charming or tedious.
 - Oscar Wilde