GPRS unreliable: long lasting connection fail

Tom Yates madhatter at teaparty.net
Mon Jan 12 11:39:27 CET 2009

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Niccolo Rigacci wrote:

> I use a car lighter adapter :-)

ah, ok.  i don't have a car, and it's trickier to do the wiring on a
motorcycle.

> I can pass from cell to cell through long highway tunnels and the
> GSM modem handles the connection recover transparently, pppd does
> not notice it.

ok, we both see that behaviour.

> But if the pppd notice the failure (due LCP echo request timeout), it
> cannot recover.
>
> I had experience of PPP over DSL lines, where "persist" and
> "holdoff" parameters did the trick, but it seems that pppd on the
> FreeRunner has a bug.

then i'd have to say i see that behaviour, too.  at those times i bounce
pppd manually, and the connection generally comes back fine.  but if what
you're saying is that when the underlying connection goes away long enough
for pppd to notice, it doesn't autorecover, then i'd say i see the same
thing.  it just doesn't happen often enough to me that i've looked into
it.

--

   Tom Yates  -  http://www.teaparty.net