[Om2008.9] runaway proc events/0 && automatic reboot

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Wed Jan 14 15:10:57 CET 2009

> With 'debian unstable' you mean perhaps the 'weekly builds' from
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/iso-dvd/
> and do I need all 5 DVD or only the first one?

debian basically exists in three flavours:
- stable
- testing
- unstable (sid == "still in development")

stable is, as the name suggests, the thoroughly tested and usually
recommended flavour with regular security updates and little updates above
that. with a expeted life span of maybe 2 years and more it is
softwarewise rather conservative.
testing is the upcoming stable, ie when tested fully and w/o (grave) bugs,
it will be promoted to stable and the current stable will be phased out.
unstable is more or less bleeding edge, a lot of software is very up to
date -- but not yet fully tested. additionally there are no security
updates (whith the unstable policy they are not needed since the packages
are updated very often anyway).

you can install every flavour with the minimal netinst iso, which
i8nstalls everything from inet -- thus no need to download big images of
which only a fraction is used.

ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/unix/linux/debian-mirror/debian-cd/4.0_r6/i386/iso-cd/debian-40r6-i386-netinst.iso

should be the stable netinst image.

depending on the netinst image you choose, either stable or testing are
installed.
install the minimal system (ie until debian wants you to restart after
installation), after reboot edit your /etc/apt/sources.list, remove the
line for secutity updates and change every occurence of "stable" to
"unstable" like

deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

and make sure you got a deb-src line like

deb-src ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

i do not have emdebian in my sources.list on this computer (only at home),
but according to google add the following line to your sources.list

deb http://www.emdebian.org/debian/ testing main

and then you can start with lindi's steps.