[no distro] What console s/w are linux people using to communicate with the Neo FR boot loader?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 14 22:10:12 CET 2009

On Wednesday 14 January 2009, john dowd wrote:
> The communication works fine with neocon. Thanks.
>
> My problem now is that I follow the wiki for setting up the SD to be a
> backup system. I get into the boot loader and add the menu line:
>
> setenv menu_2 Boot from microSD part2 (ext2+ext2): setenv bootargs
> \${bootargs_base} rootfstype=ext2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootdelay=5
> \${mtdparts}\; mmcinit\; ext2load mmc 1 0x32000000 \${sd_image_name}\;
> bootm 0x32000000

Looks right from memory. I tend to keep the kernel on the same partition as
the rootfs rather than having a separate boot partition as I find it easier
when managing multiple rootfs partitions, but that's just preference.

> I also check it with the "printenv" command and then use the "saveenv"
> to write it to NAND. What happens is that the command returns :
>

> GTA02v6 # saveenv
> Saving Environment to NAND...
> Erasing Nand...GTA02v6 #
>
> and when I restart to the boot loader menu, my menu entry is not there.

Check that you're doing this in the NAND uboot (Pwr then Aux) not the NOR
uboot (Aux then Pwr). I don't think the NOR one can save its environment, but
I don't know what the message is if you try, so it could be unrelated.