GPRS unreliable: long lasting connection fail

Niccolo Rigacci niccolo at rigacci.org
Thu Jan 15 01:54:13 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 04:53:16PM -0700, Eldon Koyle wrote:

> If you have the 'persist' option in /etc/ppp/peers/<connection name>,
> pppd will reconnect after errors.  To reconnect, it closes the device then
> reopens it.  With gsm0710muxd, when /dev/pts/N gets closed it is
> deallocated.  Then, pppd is trying to reconnect to a device that doesn't
> exist.

This is very interesting and disappointing :-(

But I experienced a different problem, because I don't use
gsm0710muxd, so the device should be always valid.

What I noticed is that pppd release the lock file of the serial
line, then it stays in a select loop, without retrying.

--
Niccolo Rigacci
Firenze - Italy