[Om2008.12] Adding swap space can stop app crashes

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Sat Jan 17 01:03:03 CET 2009

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 10:14:53 am Nick Van Fossen wrote:

> So, I'm a bit lazy so instead of going through the trouble of adding a swap
> partition, I just created a swap file.

I would say that you're not necessarily being lazy there, if you configure a
swap partition then you are limiting where the kernel can write bytes on the
SD card which will lead to uneven wear on it.

In future with a COW SSD aware wear-leveling filsystem like btrfs a swap file
may end up being more SD friendly as the filesystem may (hopefully!) balance
out those writes across the card.

cheers,
Chris

This email may come with a PGP signature as a file. Do not panic.
For more info see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP