handwriting recognition. was:Re: Dual touch display

Margo Koppelmann margo.koppelmann at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 16:15:50 CET 2009

There is also matchbox-stroke. It's in the openmoko repos. Just do: opkg
install matchbox-stroke. I tried it on Om2008.12 and I like it. But the
configuration file is incomplete, so it's impossible to enter many letters
and characters. Even space was not configured, I configured it manually in
the configuration file. So if someone would write a good configuration file
for it, it should be usable.

Matchbox-stroke puts a white space on the bottom of the screen. You don't
need so much space to write a character. I think we could use the
combination of handwriting and buttons. Maybe something like this -
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2745/strokemg2.png (I made it with GIMP).
The @#$ button would display an onscreen keyboard to enter special
characters (because I tink its hard to remember the strokes for all the
characters) and the "mode" button would toggle between number mode, lower
case mode and upper case mode. I tink this should be usable with fingers
too. I would do this myself, but I can't code :(

I think that if we had a good handwriting recognition program, all the
keyboard problems would be solved. At least for me. Because I used to have
Sony Ericsson P800 and I really liked it's handwriting recognition. I could
hold the phone in my hand and write the characters with the same hand's
thumb. I lost the stylus of my P800 long time ago and I wasn't missing it at
all.

On Debian I tried cellwriter too. It works really good, but it's only usable
with stylus.