gentoo on freerunner

Damien Thébault damien.thebault at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 08:45:55 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 23:09, Mathieu Rochette <mathroc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a gentoo user and I would love to get it running on my freerunner.
> However, I don't find details explanations.

Check http://projects.openmoko.org/projects/gentoo/ , look at the documentation
and mailing list ;)

> One solution I read about (and seems great) is to install crossdev on my
> desktop PC to create a system for armv4t. I was using paludis but switch
> back to emerge recently. I think either one is ok?

I tried both, they work but I still prefer paludis because I find it
easier for me
(with {,R}DEPENDS not handled at all so it's possible to install header files
in the sysroot with different versions that the host, but well, that's just
preference I think)

> When I got a full system on desktop, how do I install it on the
> freeruner? do i need to make the standart installation?

The process is to build everything in a rootfs, then configure it.

You can find the old wiki page attached here:
http://lists.projects.openmoko.org/pipermail/gentoo-devel/attachments/20081110/3e5de686/attachment-0001.html
(you have to copy/paste the html code into a new file.html and open it)

> When the previous is completed, I can emerge binary package (compiling
> them on desktop). Then I won't need gcc, and all that stuff on the
> freerunner (RDEPEND stuffs). But profile will ask for them in the system
> set. Is it doable to remove gcc, autotools, etc. without having emerge
> trying to emerge them back? That could save a huge memory space I think.
> Maybe my 512Mo card will be enough -- I read about needing 2Go.

You'll be cross-compiling everything so you won't need any toolchain on
the freerunner itself.

> Finaly, I have a remark about the embded overlay I found (I guess the
> mainteners read this list). It provides fso software and various stuff.
> It also provide enlightenment. This is just a suggestion, but I think it
> would be better to rely on vapier's overlay for that.

Check the gentoo at openmoko overlay too
http://projects.openmoko.org/scm/?group_id=228
It contains fixes for cross-compilation and for freerunner-specific changes.

Regards,
--
Damien Thebault