Yaouh! out (update for tangogps maps)

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Tue Jan 20 13:59:56 CET 2009

Risto H. Kurppa wrote:

> huh - so Tangogps is able to update tiles?? I didn't know it, lack of
> reading/documentation/UI/something.

Just click anywhere on the map. "map download" is the last item on the
popup menu.

> Does it download & overwrite all tiles already downloaded in the
> selected area or does it use the etag thing to save traffic?

There seem to be a bug in that the zoom level you're looking at doesn't
get updated. A user-configurable amount of zoom levels below are
downloaded though. I therefore tend to zoom one level out before
downloading.

I don't know if it uses etags, but I guess it blindly downloads all. If
it used etags, then it could save space by not having tens of thousands
of identical copies of "the blank land tile" and "the blank sea tile".

Helge Hafting