Yaouh! out (update for tangogps maps)

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 23 03:58:50 CET 2009

Agree. Every system Ive put ext2/3 on has had problems, lost data,
corruptions, constant need to fsck, even whole filesystems
unrecoverable. I think its only useful where you have simple systems, a
UPS and light usage.  And ext2/3 on a freerunner SD card just emphasises
what a crap filesystem they are for modern uses.  I will start
experimenting with ext4 on a non-critical system soon, but I dont hold
much hope its any better.

Reiserfs3 however just rocks!

BillK

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 20:21 +0100, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 08:20:59AM +0900, William Kenworthy wrote:
> > ext2/3 is not really suited to storing such a large number of small
> > files. The main problem is the fixed number of inodes which I ran out of
> > despite having 2Gb still free on the SD card partition :(  To work
> > around, create the file system with "-b 1024 -i 1024" for the maximum
> > number of inodes - unfortunately this cant be changed after the FS is
> > created.
>
>    This is another problem that would be solved by using ReiserFS. It is a
> pity that it is not compiled into the kernel as shipped by the
> distributions.
>
>   (I don't understand why ext2/3 is used at all these days, as it has been
> obsolete for years. Except for one bug 8 years ago[1], ReiserFS has worked
> flawlessly for me on my desktop systems.)
>
> [1] http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0003.1/0714.html

Home in Perth!