Someone stole my Neo Freerunner... :(

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 26 03:05:23 CET 2009

Problem with gps is that its slow to get a fix, sometimes very slow, and
the phone may (probably?) be indoors or a car much of the time - so
waiting for a fix is going to be a problem.

Trigger with an "unknown" SIM card.  Send a first "panic, I've been
stolen!" sms message with as much detail as possible pulled from the SIM
card, network settings (iwlist eth0 scan - and at your end try and
locate on the wifi location database) - say forward their SIM phonebook
to yourself (maybe one sms per contact to burn up their credit :)  Then
background and wait for a gps fix ...

Meanwhile, start ringing their phone contacts ... starting with their
mother :)

BillK

On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 19:51 -0600, The Digital Pioneer wrote:
> This is an excellent idea. I've been wondering about this. If I had
> GPRS, I would SSH in (possible? Getting the IP would be tricky) and
> pull GPS coordinates. But I don't have GPRS. I think it would be good
> to implement some kind of SIM-based security, along with a way to send
> some kind of panic SMS. Both would activate some kind of daemon that
> pulls coords from GPS whenever possible and sends them back to you.
> Maybe have it call you at home and a TTS engine gives them to you if
> you can't get SMS without your phone. Just some ideas. Would be
> AWESOME to have a phone that works to return to its owner though. Lord
> of the Rings like. :P
>
> As you maybe can tell, I've considered this a little just in case
> someone steals my $400 baby.
>
> --
>

> Thanks,
>
> The Digital Pioneer