Someone stole my Neo Freerunner... :(

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 26 03:19:25 CET 2009

Apparently yes: here in Oz you can go to your telco and get the phone
disabled if its been stolen - (tahts the phone itself, not the SIM is
prevented from connecting - via IMIE I think).  The cops can get
location info, thoughs it is apparently more like "somewhere about
there" in accuracy.

Thats why I suggested wifi location like Skyhook - I think gps is a
really flakey solution (going by experience with the FR) - the likely
hood of a flat battery before you get a fix in most scenarios is very
high, and what if the user notices it - unless you start working like a
rootkit and hiding the app, which is starting to get very sophisticated!
So I think gps, while be good, but shouldnt be relied on.

BillK

On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 20:10 -0600, The Digital Pioneer wrote:
> Indeed, GPS fixes are tough to get, but they can be done. Just out of
> curiosity, can the telco really do all that passive triangulation (or
> more importantly, can I) they talk about in the movies? :P
>
> --
>

> Thanks,
>
> The Digital Pioneer
Home in Perth!