[Tango-GPS] Map bulk download?

Christ van Willegen cvwillegen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 16:07:55 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 3:46 PM, arne anka <openmoko at ginguppin.de> wrote:
>> You mentioned navit in your posting, so I assume you're already using
>> it to draw OSM maps on the FreeRunner, that's why I asked.
>
> ah, ok.
> well, yes, i have both installed, but imo tangogps is faster and more
> usable for general orientation, while navit focuses on guiding. at least
> that's my idea of the differences between both.
Yes, tangoGPS draws faster, but has 'less to do' than Navit.

I'll try getting navit built on my home PC, which would enable me to
update navit a bit faster. I'm currently looking into making it
faster, and I've been told that lots of floating point calculations
have been taken out around Christmas time. So, if the 'maintainers'
would re-build navit, it would be lots faster (I think). Problem is,
the maintainers are listed as 'angstrom_developers', so there's
probably a problem poking them :-)

> and anyway, it is not a question of opposition but of improvement for
> tangogps. i once tried to download only the tiles for decent zooming of my
> town and it took morer space than navit's bin for the whole of the the eu.

Yes, tiles take a lot more space, but rendering is nicer and quicker.
It's one way or the other, unfortunately!

I'll do my best getting navit to (cross) build, so that I can
distribute an .ipk file...

Christ van Willegen
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0