Someone stole my Neo Freerunner... :(

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Tue Jan 27 12:09:02 CET 2009

The Digital Pioneer wrote:
>     And when you think you've tracked down the thief and are close to
>     him, send an sms to make it play some music really really loud, and
>     go bang the thief on the head :)
>
> Sounds fun. I send the SMS, and suddenly a piercing siren goes off from
> the guy 10 feet away, so I tackle him and take back my phone. :D I like
> how you think.
>
> Just one little consideration: how best to turn off stolen-mode when I
> get it back? Sending an SMS won't do (way too easy to spoof), it needs
> to be something that can only be done by SSH or the like I think.

Enter the 20-letter password that only you know about - or reflash.

The thief also has the option of reflashing - but most of them don't
know how. If they did - they'd likely be able to earn better working
with electronics/computers.

If you really hate thieves, fill all free space inside the case with
explosive. Send the stolen phone a sms containing the key for
self-destruct mode. In this mode it explodes a few seconds after
accepting a call - the maximum damage moment when you get both the hand
and the head.

I would not recommend this though. It'd be illegal most places, and
you'd have to be really confident about programming the trigger. (And
then there is static electricity...)

A safer self-destruct mode would be to erase all the flashes, including
the one in the gsm modem. No boot or usb-based reflash after that, and
thieves will not likely bother trying a debug board "to see if it can be
fixed". If they are that good, they probably make a decent living
unlocking/servicing other brands of phone already.

Such a self-destruct might be useful when the phone is stolen on a trip
and you don't want to follow the thief into a dubious and unknown
district. And you probably don't have all the tracking equipment (extra
gps & phone) with you either.

Helge Hafting