Someone stole my Neo Freerunner... :(

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Tue Jan 27 12:23:47 CET 2009

Angus Ainslie wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Helge Hafting <helge.hafting at hist.no> wrote:
>> There is a program around that is supposed to look for a special keyword
>> in a sms, and send a gps reading back. It didn't work when I tried it,
>> but this appraoch can be developed into something more robust. Another
>> other security idea: Send an SMS to put the phone in "stolen" modus. (Do
>> that quickly, before they change the sim card.)
>>

> Are you talking about sms-sentry ?
>
> Which part didn't work ?

I sent the message, from the phone to itself. This was right after
installing it. Of course, there was no gps fix inside the building,
I didn't expect that to work well.

Later I was on a car trip, not driving. So I watched tangogps for a
while. Then I got the idea to test again, knowing that the gps was
working. So I sent the message again - from the phone to itself. And
again nothing happened.  The keyed message eventually showed up in the
sms inbox, with the first letter removed. Tangogps showed movement all
the time. I tried twice, but I never got a reply with any coordinates.

> What distro did you try it on ?

SHR of dec.16, which I still use. A good distro in that calls, sms,
music, and gps all works - although it could use some polishing.

> Did you run it from the command line and check what status messages it
> was sending ?

I didn't think of that, it is worth a try.

> It works but can take a very very long time to get a fix and return
> the SMS you are waiting for.

I know - so therefore I tested it when I already had a good fix. gpsd is
supposed to be able to serve several clients at the same time.

Helge Hafting