HTC + Openmoko + Jalimo

pHilipp Zabel philipp.zabel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 12:18:00 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio
<jldominguez at prodevelop.es> wrote:
> Hello, list:
>
> According to this website, Openmoko runs well on the HTC Universal:
>
> http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/UniversalStatus

Be aware that for now you are stuck with an ancient kernel
(2.6.21-hh20). I don't know if somebody is actively working on the
kernel right now. The big problem with anything >= 2.6.23 is that the
ASIC3 MMC driver doesn't work since then. It was the only way to have
storage (unless somebody figures out how to write a working MTD driver
for the NAND flash).

> Does this mean that the Jalimo stack will work without problems on it?
> Actually I'm not especially interested in the phone features, but rather in
> the GUI capabilities (will a java.awt.Choice look good?, will the
> Graphics.fillPolygon work?) and access to the serial port (external GPS).

I have no experience with Jalimo, but there is no externally
accessible serial port on the Universal. The PXA270's UARTs are
connected to the MSM6250, BRF6150 and the IrDA circuitry. To my
current knowledge, it doesn't have USB OTG capabilities either. I
think the only feasible way to connect an external GPS would be via
Bluetooth.