[SHR] SMS

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Wed Jan 28 13:56:01 CET 2009

Matthew Lane wrote:
> I have a question about SHR SMS.  I loved SHR, but I found that call
> volume was very low, and I had trouble finding my SMS messages.  When
> receiving an incoming SMS, I could not delete the notify window with the

Known problem. You can delete the _last_ notification window with the X,
but window-closing fail if anything else is opened before you do it.
(More messages coming in, or other apps opening windows.)

This will likely be fixed, in the meantime the workaround is to
delete such windows quickly. Open "Messages" if you need to look
at a SMS again, don't leave those notification windows open.

To clear them out: ssh into the phone, and restart the x server with
/etc/init.d/xserver-something restart
(I don't remember the "something", just type up to and including
"xserver", then hit TAB.)

Don't give that command in the terminal window, because the terminal
disappears when X shuts down. This kills the script so X won't
come up again.

If you can't use ssh, just reboot the phone with the power button. This
obviously works too, but takes more time.

> X on the upper illume taskbar, and all of my SMS messages said they were
> received on Jan 1, 1987.  I'm assuming this is because I didn't
> correctly set my system clock, but how would I do that?  And how would I
> raise call volume, and delete the incoming message window?

You set the clock with the 'date' command. I.e.:
date MMDDhhmm
MM month, currently 01
DD day
hh hour
mm minute

However, you should set up the timezone first.
The standard recipe is to make /etc/localtime a symlink to the
appropriate file in /usr/share/zoneinfo/ , but it looks like copying the
file into /etc/localtime is necessary on the freerunner. Well, perhaps a
hardlink works too.

Helge Hafting