[2008.12] fr gets very hot w/ wifi, gps and wallcharger Re: Hot stuff (literally!)

Christ van Willegen cvwillegen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 15:46:43 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 3:31 PM, arne anka <openmoko at ginguppin.de> wrote:
>>> (hint, hint), but at least debian/fso seems to restart charging when
>>> dropping below a certain level.
>> That would be [2008.12], then :-)
>
> attaboy! and next time we try to put in into the subject line, shall we?
> ;-)

I'll try, at the least!

>> I seem to be unable to ssh to my FR right now, so I can't check the
>> battery temp at the moment...
>
> whoa. seems wifi and gps are just soldering their antennas together ...

Well, Windows told me that 'one of the network cables was not connected'... so.

But, I've taken out the charger, and the USB cable as well, and that
was over a half hour ago.

- Wifi-icon is on
- tangoGPS shows movement (so, GPS is on)
- 'battery' icon shows a nice flash
- red light in AUX is on

Note the absence of any cables to the FR at the moment :-)

>> So, if I take out the charger, it should cool down? And what if it
>> doesn't?
>
> touch it with a piece of paper -- if it burns, temp is above 200°c, if not
> drop some water on it -- if it boils it's above 100°c.
> if the temp is lower, you could pry the back cover open and let the
> battery drop out -- hopefully in one piece and not several drops :-).
It's not hot to the tough, but definitively un-cool. I'd wager the
back cover to be at about 30degrees... it feels warm to the lips.

> seriously -- i think, removing the battery is the best way, but it would
> be great, if one of the hw guys could say something ...
> i modified the subject to catch more attention.
I'll wait a bit before I drop out the battery... to give them time to
come up with something.

Christ van Willegen
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0