Someone stole my Neo Freerunner... :(

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Wed Jan 28 16:01:59 CET 2009

Angus Ainslie wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 4:23 AM, Helge Hafting <helge.hafting at hist.no> wrote:
>> Later I was on a car trip, not driving. So I watched tangogps for a
>> while. Then I got the idea to test again, knowing that the gps was
>> working. So I sent the message again - from the phone to itself. And
>> again nothing happened.  The keyed message eventually showed up in the
>> sms inbox, with the first letter removed. Tangogps showed movement all
>> the time. I tried twice, but I never got a reply with any coordinates.
>>

> If the first letter is missing then it won't work as the match has to
> be complete. This seems to be some kind of network ( or possibly
> Freerunner specific issue ) as I've had the missing character reported
> before. I have always tested by sending from a different phone. I'll
> test again using the freerunner to track itself.

Only these messages had the first letter removed, not other test
messages. And the usual message receive screen didn't come up. The
messages just appeared in the inbox. So I guessed the keyed messages had
been processed differently somehow.

I will try to test more. Maybe the inbox was too full? Other messages
gets delayed in such cases, could that happen to keyed messages as well?

An unrelated idea: When tangogps is installed, how about locating a
useful map tile for the position? Add a location pointer, and send it as
a MMS image? Most phones can display an image, and you won't need to
look up the coordinates manually anywhere.

The most useful tile would be one that doesn't have the position too
close to the edge, and maximally zoomed in. (Depends on what tiles there
are.)

Helge Hafting