[SHR] illume predictive keyboard is too slow

Olof Sjobergh olofsj at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 13:09:47 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Michal Brzozowski <rusolis at poczta.fm> wrote:
> 2009/1/29 Olof Sjobergh <olofsj at gmail.com>
>>
>> I think most problems could be solved by using a dictionary format
>> similar to what you describe above, i.e. something like:
>>
>> match : candidate1 candidate2; frequency
>> for example:
>> vogel : Vogel Vögel; 123
>>
>> That would mean you can search on the normalised word where simple
>> strcmp works fine and will be fast enough.
>
> This dictionary would have hundreds of millions of rows even if you take
> only reasonable user inputs. But what to do if the users inputs something
> that's not in the dictionary? Of course I'm assuming you want to correct
> typos, as it's doing now.
>
> vogel: Vogel, Vögel
> vigel: Vogel, Vögel
> vpgel: Vogel, Vögel
> wogel: Vogel, Vögel
> wigel: Vogel, Vögel
> vigem: Vogel, Vögel
> vigwl: Vogel, Vögel

It did not mean all possible misspellings should be included, only the
normalisation which removes accented chars etc. So for normal English,
there would be almost no extra size compared to now. The current way
of correcting typos by checking all combinations from neighbouring
keys would work just like today.

Best redards,

Olof Sjöbergh