[SHR] illume predictive keyboard is too slow

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Thu Jan 29 14:32:48 CET 2009

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

> i was hoping to be able to keep a SIMPLE ascii qwerty keyboard for as
> much as
> possible - so you can just type and it will work and offer the selections as
> it's trying to guess anyway - it can present the multiple accented versions
> too. this limits the need for special keyboards - doesn't obviate it, but
> allows more functionality out of the box. in the event users explicitly
> select
> an accented char - ie a non-ascii character, it should not "decimate". it
> should try match exactly that char.

We will still need to select the correct dictionary for the language
somewhere. It is no more work if this also selects a keyboard layout
adapted to that language.

I can see why you want a simple keyboard with fewer keys - the keys can
be bigger and so there will be fewer finger-misses. I don't see any
reason why it should be limited to ascii though - that division does not
seem natural to me.

An example from the Norwegian laguage: The letter ô is rarely used, and
  everybody thinks about it as an "o" with a "hat" on it. So this one
fits your scheme - type "o" and "ô" will be suggested in the few cases
where it is appropriate.  But the three vowels "æøå" is different. They
are letters of their own, they are not seen as "modifications of a/o",
even if that may be historically correct. These three have their own
names and their own places in the alphabet (after z). An "å" is not
merely an "a with ring", no more than the "E" is an "F" with an extra
line attached. The "ø" is not merely an "o" with a slash either. Many
people don't know that "æ" originated as an "ae" ligature. "æ" and "ae"
can both occur in words, but the pronunciation is different and they are
not interchangeable.

So when Norwegians type, they expect to see the 29 letters of their
alphabet: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzæøå. "ô" and "é" are sometimes
useful too, but these are just "o" and "e" with modifications. "æøå"
however, are parts of the base alphabet. Just like "abc". A keyboard
without "æøå" is assumed not to support Norwegian.

I hope things like this will be possible, if a new dictionary format is
realized. It is ok if typing "for" suggests "fôr" as an alternative, but
"før" should not come up unless the user types "f" "ø" "r". In which
case "o" must not be suggested...

Helge Hafting