[SHR] Scrolling (was Re: [SHR] Miscellanious minor issues)

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Thu Jan 29 23:20:40 CET 2009

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 20:48:28 +0100, kimaidou <kimaidou at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't totally disagree, but for now scrolling in SHR is painfull. I
tried
> Qextended, and the scroll (eg in contacts) is smoothy and efficient ! I
> also
> proposed shortcuts in another trac for contacts :
> http://trac.shr-project.org/trac/ticket/292
>
> 2009/1/29 Johny Tenfinger <seba.dos1 at gmail.com>
>
>> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 19:37, kimaidou <kimaidou at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > About the scrollbar, it is much to thin to be reachable with the
> finger.
>> > proposed an enhancement in the trac : make the right scrollbar twice
> (or
>> 3
>> > times) bigger, so that all soft needing it become more finger friendly
>>
>> In elementary (shr-settings), scrollbar is not reachable at all,
>> because it is not supposed to. For me, scrollbar in contacts should
>> look and behave like one from elementary, so I don't agree. It's only
>> wasting of space, and there are better ways to navigate than scrollbar
>> and finger scrolling (like alphabetic filtering in contacts etc.)

I'm split between camps on this.  I don't want to see scrollbars usually,
as they are either so small as to be ornamental, or so large as to waste
huge swaths of valuable screen real-estate.  But simple finger-scrolling
doesn't cut it sometimes.  For example, I tried to use neon to examine some
image files from the default.edj theme.  Unfortunately that theme contains
400+ images, and the one I wanted was around 360 in the list - I gave up
after about 60 seconds of finger scrolling, somewhere around 'J'.  What we
need, IMHO, is not just alphanumeric jumps, but standardized presentation
of, activation of, and interaction with such controls.  Reusable that way
for file requesters, addressbook, whatever.  Meanwhile, the 'appears on
demand' scrollbar in some Elementary apps looks promising, if only it were
a bit wider so as to be friendly for fat fingers like mine.

BTW - scrolling is made more painful by the theme...  Raster pointed this
out to me - the illume theme in SHR uses multiple layered png images with
transparency for icons, for example. (the button, the icon, the hilight,
the shine, with anternates for disabled or selected states)  Using a single
icon image and toggling (visible when touched) just a single-image frame
behind it, and removing associated fade-in/fade-out animations makes a
significant difference.  Pop open the Illume Config (via spanner/wrench)
and try finger-scrolling the top icon bar right to left - it's a tremendous
difference when everything's structurally and graphically simplified.

Joel Newkirk
http://jthinks.com      (blog)
http://newkirk.us/om (FR stuff)