[All] To build a better music player

Dylan Reilly dreilly at atariland.net
Fri Jan 30 15:37:38 CET 2009

To answer a few questions:

1) The new gstreamer back-end uses mutagen to read tag data from mp3
and ogg and not ID3. You will want to use the package I made for
mutagen since no other exists. I did not bother updating the mplayer
back-end as consider that deprecated at this point. That one still
uses the ID3.py library which I did not include.

2) I would have liked to use mpd, but I have never been able to find a
package for it for arm. It is not feasible to stream from a server,
since I listen to music in my car.

3) I will publish the packages to opkg.org later today if I remember.

Finally, if anyone has any suggestions on how to make gstreamer
suspend I will take them. I remember the suggestion of calling
snd_pcm_resume(). Unfortunately, pyalsaaudio has no such method ATM,
and I have no way of compiling it for arm after making my own changes.

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:11 PM, Yaroslav Halchenko
<site-openmoko.org at onerussian.com> wrote:
> wonderful - thank you Dylan, pythm feels really nice now with gstreamer.
> I wonder if are going to add seeking support to change position within
> the song with gstreamer? it would be really great!
>
> btw -- what version of ID3 python's library do you use?  om's
> repository seems to lack any package for it, so I've just installed the
> copy from my debian box which is 1.2-6.2, but that one also pukes with
>
> error executing:'TITLE'
>
> on my mp3s (like someone else reported before I believe)
>
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Dylan Reilly wrote:
>
>> I am still in the process of making changes, but I have some packages
>> if anyone wants to try it. This version has the option of using a
>> gstreamer back-end (the default with the packaged config file) instead
> --
>                                  .-.

Dylan Maxwell Reilly