Setting up MPD

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat Jan 31 21:11:55 CET 2009

> Ahh, just when I want a media player, the last thing I usually want to do is
> edit conf files.

The only thing that should need specifying in this file should be the
directory where the songs are kept.  What else did you have to edit?

> Then, I had to find a client, and perhaps I got a bad one (I don't
> remember which I used) but it was pretty tough to pair the two.

Yes, MPD clients aren't great in my experience (there's a lot more
quantity than quality).  But Pythm isn't bad.

> After that, I had no control of the playlist, it just played my whole
> collection alphabetically.

Hmm... sounds odd.  It reminds me of the brain-dead /etc/init.d/mpd used
in the `mpd' package of OpenWRT (I have sent a patch for it, but it
hasn't been accepted/applied yet, don't hold your breath).

Normally, the playlist is pretty straightforward to manage, so you must
have hit some weird default setup.  How did you install/start this `mpd'?

        Stefan