Questions about the usability of GTA02

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at openmoko.com
Sat Jan 31 21:15:28 CET 2009

Tschaka,

> 4) GTA03?
> Or would u rather advise me to wait for GTA03?

No, definitely not.
First of all GTA03 is still a long way out, at least 6 months, maybe
9, maybe more.
But more importantly, at Openmoko you cannot assume that GTA03 = GTA02
+ new hardware features.
When Sean started the project, the reason he chose to use 100% FOSS
software only is because it gave him full flexibility to make very
unique and interesting devices.
GTA03 is an independent new product, the continuity to GTA02 is
foremost on the software side, hardware continuity only follows
because if we have a great fully open driver for a particular chip, we
are more likely to use that chip again.
The software stack we are building together can be (roughly) described
as: Qi + Linux kernel + FSO + Paroli.
But for the hardware side, at this point you should not make any
assumptions about GTA03 hardware features.
They have not been finally decided yet, and in fact may be so
different from GTA02 that we will continue to produce and ship GTA02
for a long time, even after GTA03 is released.

That's why it's very important for us to continue to improve GTA02,
both on the hardware and software side.

Since GTA02 shipped about 6 months ago, the software side has taken
off in ways we could have never imagined. It must be the world's
largest software construction site by now :-)
Om2008.12, FSO, SHR, FDOM, Qt Extended, Debian, Gentoo, Android,
OpenWrt.
Most of these distributions don't really work very well yet, compared
to typical polished mass-market products. I think Om2008.12 or
QtExtended come closest.
But all of the distributions are definitely a lot of fun, and great
seeds are being planted that will lead to better software in the future.

> But shall i, at least, rather wait for a7, or a8 if i want a buzz
> fix by
> default? at the moment, this is, besides battery life, the issue that
> concerns me most.

On the hardware side, we went through several revisions - A5, A6, A7
coming up. There will be more, we will continue to improve quality
whenever we see an opportunity. This creates a dilemma. The more we
improve quality on the hardware side, the more we leave some customers
'behind' with old hardware revisions that cannot be easily upgraded.
And our process is totally open.
For example if you buy an A6 now, depending on which country you are
in, and which network you are typically using, your chances of hearing
the buzz are higher than with A7 (which is not shipping yet).
Your best bet is to buy from a distributor that has a good return
policy. We work with our distributors on finding efficient solutions
for the situation we are in, where we come out with improved hardware
revisions every few months, and all the defects that are being fixed
are openly known and talked about. This creates a lot of work on all
sides, but with a little understanding that we are all sitting in the
same boat, I'm optimistic we can find a good way through this, with
happy customers in the end, even if it's a bit chaotic.

The FreeRunner is available and selling in 16 countries, and I'm very
happy to see our community active in so many areas. The whole thing
really seems to work :-)
Thanks everybody, Best Regards,
Wolfgang