New archive file format (was: [omgps] collect feature requests)

Laszlo KREKACS laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 10:05:29 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 9:42 AM, mqy<meng.qingyou at gmail.com> wrote:

> x and y are tile no in tile coordinate system within range of [0.. 2^zoom).
> just do it if you have time, since proof of concept is necessary :) keep in
> mind clear APIs.
> it's likely that, the final version to be integrated into omgps is rewritten
> in C.

Ok. I'll do it.

I will put the [filenames] section at the end of file. That way appending
to the file is dead simple.
The header structure will be the same, so between 10-20 bytes are
always the [filenames] position.

I was thinking more about the metadata stuff. If we agree on a filename,
like .metadata-kiss, and attache it as a simple file, there is no importance
where in the archive should be placed (but I think should be placed at
the end):
[header]
[1. file]
[2. file]
[3. file = metadata file]
[filenames]

But metadata is really for future consideration (if people find this
archive format useful).

I will also make some test archive file along with the kiss and unkiss
program, to easy implementing.

Here is the updated specification (I added two more faq entries,
max filesize and max filename length):
http://pastebin.com/f51927121

Laszlo