New archive file format (was: [omgps] collect feature requests)

Laszlo KREKACS laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 10:24:20 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:08 AM, William Kenworthy<billk at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I hope not - I have over 2 million tiles stored on SD card - if file
> corruption or disaster occurs, it may affect only one tile if its being
> accessed at the time

My experience differs completely from yours.

>- imagine the effect of file system corruption on
> one large archive ... you will most likely lose the lot.

I would even prefer to loosing my map files (backups?), than
crashing the whole filesystem.

However this is not the case. I dont intent to push "pack everything
into a single file". Instead have about 1MB files. (or pack subdirs only)
So if you want to loose something, loose 1MB.
But this fileformat should be safe enough, if the header is untouched,
you can recover files from the archive (and there are the checksum
options too)

> Then there is the extra overhead needed - Ive gotta ask "why"? - if you
> can justify the extra cpu needed for this, why not do vector maps?

Need a serious benchmark here, if the extra overhead is true or not.

In opposite of your opinion, I expect speed improvements. ;)

Laszlo