Background amplification and voice blur on phone call

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Thu Jul 9 11:34:04 CEST 2009

Shashank Bharadwaj wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I created a new topic cause I think this question is slightly
> different from the one being discussed in the "Rustling noise on
> phonecalls" thread. Well I just installed OM2009 (and updated via opkg
> update && opkg upgrade) and then tested on paroli on a call. Weird
> thing happened. The background sounds (like of the traffic, keyboard
> strokes or somebody else far off talking) are highly amplified. But my
> own voice is highly marred with noise. My voice sounds like it's being
> mixed by a dj to produce a kind of recursive-echo effect!

> Any ideas?

Too much microphone gain explains all of this.

That's why background noise gets amplified too much.
Your voice may get too loud and ruined by saturation. If your voice
comes back through the loudspeaker (or a nearby test-phone's
loudspeaker) then the overly sensitive mic pics it up again and you get
echoes too.

Helge Hafting