replacement opkg.org (was Re: Opkg.org?! (was: Re: [SHR-...))

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Thu Jul 9 13:55:45 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 11:40:08PM +1200, Robin Paulson wrote:
> 2009/7/9 Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com>:
> >> so, i propose a replacement i have zero experience with running a
> >> repository though. are there any free services on the net for running
> >> this kind of thing? i'd be surprised if the only way to do this was
> >> through a built-from-scratch site such as opkg.org
> >
> > opkg.org is nice site for showing new packages, but for updating and
> > installing of those .opk is really better to help distro developers
> > to get .bb file to their repository and start building that package
> > regularly. Then there is no problem when upstream changes library names
> > or something and its clearly stated which version was used to build that
> > package and with which aditional patches.
>
> i'll agree with everything you've said. however, given the reality of
> the situation, i.e. the popularity of opkg.org with devs and users,
> coupled with the lack of knowledge around bb, i think this is a very
> useful service. i have no idea how many devs submit bb files to shr,
> om, etc., but i'd take a guess it's pretty low

I think omnewrotate wasn't put by me anywhere, but it got there.

I always assumed you'd need a certain merit to submit, like being
somewhat stable, etc...

http://code.google.com/p/omnewrotate/

In fact, since omnewrotate seems to be in the repos already, I didn't
even think of submitting anylonger :)

http://code.google.com/p/elmdentica/
elmdentica seems to be stabilising and already going into shr-unstable.

The most important features seem to be running fine :)

Rui