running windows mobile applications on openmoko

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 04:08:46 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Joseph Booker<joe at neoturbine.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 20:59:05 +0200
[...]
> And mobi, Nicola: virtualization requires processor support for
> emulating the given architecture. This is why using qemu to emulate a
> x86 is so much slower then using qemu+kvm to emulate a x86: in the
> latter case the processor is doing some of the work instead of the
> software. I don't know of any case of a processor virtualizing an
> architecture besides itself, except for x86-64 processors virtualizing
> for a x86.

Hi Joseph, I know that VT extensions make qemu/kvm near native, but
other virtualization solutions are quite fast and acceptable even on
old cpu without that. I suppose they use some proprietary stuff like
kqemu kernel space accelerator, that theoretically may be adopted on
arm cpu too.

In every case I was just impressed of the Nokia N800 speed with vmware
mobile, I would be surprised if it has hardware virtualization
support!

    Nicola