The University of São Paulo's intent to join Openmoko development

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Mon Jul 13 15:53:33 CEST 2009

Harry,

> Nice to hear good news from maddog, but I am curious how many
> Freerunner that Koolu will buy from Openmoko?

I have no idea what this has to do with the conversation, other than
Koolu (of course) having a business interest in seeing that the Openmoko
is successful as a project.  I do not think that Koolu being a
for-profit company is any secret, and I was careful to acknowledge my
Koolu contacts.

How many phones that Koolu buys to distribute is based on Koolu's
business plan, distribution models, software Koolu chooses to support
and other business considerations of Koolu.  Do we want the Openmoko
project to be successful?  Stellar?  Something that people talk about in
the news and on the street?  Absolutely, and without hesitation.

>From my conversations with Dr. Zuffo I can promise you that the designs
coming this liaison will continue to follow the philosophy of the
Openmoko community and will be equally available to all manufacturing
agents that wish to participate.  The factor that the university can
only produce 10,000 units, and *has* to license out the design to have
more produced was a *BIG* factor in this path.  It forces the university
(and the project) to treat manufacturers equally.

My other two "plans" did not guarantee this equality, and therefore were
less desirable.

Warmest regards,

md