The University of São Paulo's intent to join Openmoko development

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Mon Jul 13 16:12:24 CEST 2009

John,

> I made some contact with Openmoko regarding joining their Openlab
> programme a while back now and need to follow that up. We have created
> an MSc in Network and Mobile Computing which has a module designed to
> specifically use "Openmoko". The MSc starts this September so I am
> very interested to share ideas and help spread the love.

Sounds good....and the university's program to use "Openmoko" in the MSc
sounds great.

Are you then the contact for Openlab?  Can you speak for them?

One of the issues of lining up USP was to get to the right people (Dr.
Zuffo) who went to the right people (the administration of USP), who
influenced the right people (the Minister of Communications) who then
let it all trickle back down again, making Dr. Zuffo's job a lot easier.

I admit to talking this over with a few community members ahead of time
to get their initial reactions, but I did not want to raise people's
hopes before I had confirmation from the university.

There were many reasons why I considered the University of São Paulo:

The university is the largest in Brazil (86,000 students, 12,000 PhD
candidates).  It is where I saw my first Linux Beowulf supercomputer, in
1996.  They consistently win awards at the supercomputing event held
every year.

http://www.usp.br/internacional/home.php?idioma=en

I can not stress enough that the building that Dr. Zuffo talks about is
rather large and brand new, and that even way before the switch in
strategy of Sean's company (just about a year ago) I had discussed the
Openmoko phone with various members of the faculty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dVch2nSuBA

I do not want to be perceived as "shoving this down your throats".  This
is the community's project.  I am only trying to help.

Warmest regards,

md