why openmoko is so slow? Is it a joke?

mobi phil mobi at mobiphil.com
Mon Jul 13 17:01:03 CEST 2009

> That depends on your sense of humour ;-)

Well, I would say it was a very bad joke. I spent eq. of 400 dolars, I was
waiting 1 year for glamo acceleration etc, etc. that would make the phone
usable etc, and it turns out, that it will never be. With the slow bus, one
can forget about acceleration... What can be accelerated if you have to send
information about complex bitmaps...

I find openmoko, better say freedesktop as a nice project, and even openmoko
name should be avoided. They found a very cheap solution, they sold the
devices for lot of money, practically they fooled lot of people. I can
imagine the company manager behind smiling about all the complain emails and
naive users still hoping their freerunner will display nicely one day. I
think after this being known, one should be crazy buying the openmoko. One
should instead maybe encourage the gnufiish project (or others) to port the
kernel, and use those phones as reference. One would at least avoid tons of
emails about slow graphics, about why X window etc. Again, M800 has
keyboard, very usefull for a linux phone. Only drawback, it has only 64megs
memory, but better have less applications running smoother, than several
slower... So ... whatsoever would be the device... forget about plan B,
forget about openmoko for ever... Concentrate on linux for mobile device and
encourage hackers to write drivers for them, eventually paying them per
paypal etc.

rgrds,
mobi phil

being mobile, but including technology