why openmoko is so slow? Is it a joke?

DJDAS djdas at djdas.net
Mon Jul 13 17:23:24 CEST 2009

mobi phil ha scritto:

>     That depends on your sense of humour ;-)
>

> Well, I would say it was a very bad joke. I spent eq. of 400 dolars, I
> was waiting 1 year for glamo acceleration etc, etc. that would make
> the phone usable etc, and it turns out, that it will never be. With
> the slow bus, one can forget about acceleration... What can be
> accelerated if you have to send information about complex bitmaps...
>
> I find openmoko, better say freedesktop as a nice project, and even
> openmoko name should be avoided. They found a very cheap solution,
> they sold the devices for lot of money, practically they fooled lot of
> people. I can imagine the company manager behind smiling about all the
> complain emails and naive users still hoping their freerunner will
> display nicely one day. I think after this being known, one should be
> crazy buying the openmoko. One should instead maybe encourage the
> gnufiish project (or others) to port the kernel, and use those phones
> as reference. One would at least avoid tons of emails about slow
> graphics, about why X window etc. Again, M800 has keyboard, very
> usefull for a linux phone. Only drawback, it has only 64megs memory,
> but better have less applications running smoother, than several
> slower... So ... whatsoever would be the device... forget about plan
> B, forget about openmoko for ever... Concentrate on linux for mobile
> device and encourage hackers to write drivers for them, eventually
> paying them per paypal etc.

Why don't you simply sell your FR and enjoy your M800 stopping whining
and spamming this list? I (we?) believe in Openmoko "the project", I
have a "usable" phone since last September, don't searching at the last
software update but simply customizing my own distro with my favorite
programs and, thanks to the great support of Golden Delicious, even
buzz-freeing my phone which now is perfectly working in every single
part. I don't care too much of display speed, but for sure when a new
"glamoectomied" device will be out, I'll be one of the first buyers
because after a free (first mandatory option) and customizable (the
choice for me) phone I'd like a more eye-candy device (not mandatory but
desirable).
It's not a matter of joking but believing in something no other company
tried in the past.
Bye!