why openmoko is so slow? Is it a joke?

Sebastian Krzyszkowiak seba.dos1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 17:52:09 CEST 2009

On 7/13/09, mobi phil <mobi at mobiphil.com> wrote:

>> That depends on your sense of humour ;-)
>>

> Well, I would say it was a very bad joke. I spent eq. of 400 dolars, I was
> waiting 1 year for glamo acceleration etc, etc. that would make the phone
> usable etc, and it turns out, that it will never be. With the slow bus, one
> can forget about acceleration... What can be accelerated if you have to send
> information about complex bitmaps...
>
> I find openmoko, better say freedesktop as a nice project, and even openmoko
> name should be avoided. They found a very cheap solution, they sold the
> devices for lot of money, practically they fooled lot of people. I can
> imagine the company manager behind smiling about all the complain emails and
> naive users still hoping their freerunner will display nicely one day. I
> think after this being known, one should be crazy buying the openmoko. One
> should instead maybe encourage the gnufiish project (or others) to port the
> kernel, and use those phones as reference. One would at least avoid tons of
> emails about slow graphics, about why X window etc. Again, M800 has
> keyboard, very usefull for a linux phone. Only drawback, it has only 64megs
> memory, but better have less applications running smoother, than several
> slower... So ... whatsoever would be the device... forget about plan B,
> forget about openmoko for ever... Concentrate on linux for mobile device and
> encourage hackers to write drivers for them, eventually paying them per
> paypal etc.

Then i'm crazy - I have known about that (slow glamo) before
FreeRunner was in sales, and it was discussed on maillist before that.
And after that. And I think there still will be discusions about
that...

Slow graphics performance doesn't make my FreeRunner useless. It's
still the most functional device I've ever had, and I love programming
on it when I don't have access to PC :P

PS. If you didn't read *a lot* about FR, its adventages,
disadventages, abilities and problems, then you shouldn't buy it.
That's my opinion for year :P