why openmoko is so slow? Is it a joke?

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 18:07:02 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Ivan Shirokov<ivanshirokoff at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> Well, I would say it was a very bad joke. I spent eq. of 400 dolars, I was
>> waiting 1 year for glamo acceleration etc, etc. that would make the phone
>> usable etc, and it turns out, that it will never be. With the slow bus, one
>> can forget about acceleration... What can be accelerated if you have to send
>> information about complex bitmaps...
>
> That's really sad =(

AFAIK there is still some space for improvement in general responsiveness.
Actually there is a busy loop eating CPU to wait for graphical
operations to complete.
There are working in progress to avoid that. When the fix will be
ready *and* adopting a good design pattern for applications (e.g.
GUI/logic multithreading split, fusion of frequently used phone tasks
in monolitic one-shot load and forget applications) we may see an
acceptable speedy freerunner.

    Nicola