[SHR-U] Bluetooth and GSM... Again.

Denis Johnson denis.johnson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 03:14:29 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Paul Fertser<fercerpav at gmail.com> wrote:
> Denis Johnson <denis.johnson at gmail.com> writes:
>> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Paul Fertser<fercerpav at gmail.com> wrote:\
>>> BT support for FSO already works for quite some time (several
>>> months). Lack of interest from end-users is something that clearly
>>> shows the developers that they shouldn't waste time improving it.
>>
>> On the contrary, I feel this is one of the core issues which needs to
>> go on the list to make the phone usable as an everyday phone.
>>
>> Please, please resolve this issue once and for all.
>
> What particular issue do you have in mind? The support is there. And
> it works. I've told about that on community ML several times already
> but it looks like you prefer to believe it's not to have something to
> blame :(

I am not looking for someone or something to blame and I appreciate
and support all the great work that everyone does.

Although I am a developer and know enough linux to be dangerous, I am
pretty much an end user of the Freerunner at this point. I have had it
almost a year to the day and none of the distros I have tried worked
with my bluetooth headset (Aliph Jawbone) for making or receiving
calls. I have kept a cursory eye on the ML since for this issue and I
admit I have seen the odd reference to some CLI commands to try and
connect during a call but have been waiting and hoping that it would
be supported automatically via some alsa state file or some such
because I can hardly expect my partner to open a terminal window and
issue some bluetooth connect command while she is driving so that she
can use the phone hands-free ;-)

If what you are suggesting is that it is now expected to work at the
FSO dbus level albeit needing some initial pairing to be setup without
a gui (which is fine if it is a one time exercise), then I am more
then willing to test with my BT headset as soon as my FR returns from
buzzfix in the US. I will report my findings here when I do.

Whomever is responsible for adding this support to fso, thank you for
your efforts and sorry if you feel your efforts have been a waste.

cheers Denis