The University of S?o Paulo's intent to join Openmoko development

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Jul 14 08:03:43 CEST 2009

Jon 'maddog' Hall wrote:
> A copy of Dr. Zuffo's letter of intent is below.  I have the original
> PDF if anyone would like to see it, but it was too big to make it
> through the community's standards on mailing lists unmoderated, and I
> thought you might like to see this as soon as possible.

This is wonderful news indeed ! Thanks a lot for making it happen !

I haven't had the opportunity to meet Dr. Zuffo and his team at
LSI-USP yet, but from your description and the LoI, it seems that
LSI-USP can help in several key areas where our community-centric
approach is currently weak.

I also believe that the openess we pursue resonates very well with
the necessities of academic work. To draw a parallel, in the early
1990es, the usual way of sharing one's Unix kernel research was to
get a SunOS source license and to distribute object files. With the
advent of the free unices (i.e., BSD and Linux), publishing source
became the standard, and everyone was happier for it.

So, how do we proceed ? As far as gta02-core is concerned, we will
need a friendly place for SMT soon ... and we still have that GSM
elephant in the parlor.

Thanks again for bringing LSI-USP aboard, and welcome to the
exciting adventure that is the Openmoko project !

- Werner