Record call.

David Fokkema dfokkema at ileos.nl
Tue Jul 14 13:58:00 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 01:39 +0200, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 03:10:13PM +0200, David Fokkema wrote:
>
> > And, in addition, if this works, will it be able to pick up GSM buzz on
> > the outgoing signal? Or is that really happening way after wolfson,
> > inside, or even after calypso? Probably the latter...
>
>    The buzz is present all the way from the mic, so it should be perfectly
> possibly to record it.  I've tried to do so but AFAIK not yet had GSM buzz.

Ah, great! The thing is: with all the talk about buzz, bass, clipping
due to alsa settings and stuff like that I always wonder: if it is
possible to record it, why didn't someone put up some files so that you
can really hear the difference between buzz, bass, background, clipping
and all those things (including, of course, a best we can manage clear
as a bell audio file). Maybe that'll end the confusion about whether
alsa or the buzz fix will fix certain issues.

Related: it appears that every freerunner is unique and needs it's own
unique alsa settings. Why doesn't Nokia or Apple suffer from that? Those
phones simply work out of the box, even after software upgrades.

I'll try to answer my own question: those phones are unique as well (due
to component tolerances), but are calibrated in the factory and the
settings are preloaded in the phone somewhere software updates can't
touch them (EPROM?).

Thanks,

David