The University of São Paulo's intent to join Openmoko development

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Tue Jul 14 21:16:49 CEST 2009

Levy,

> and would
> like to know if is something that I could do to participate on this
> new effort opened by you.

First I want to say that I do not consider this a "new effort", but a
continuation of the effort that the Openmoko community started.  If I
"opened" something, it is only a door to help the community move
forward.  This, by the way, is one of the things I "do", and I have done
it many, many times before.

I think we need to give the community time to absorb the proposal, to
comment on it, and to satisfy the concerns and issues that may be
brought up.  In the end I hope that people will see this change as being
a positive one, and the project will be more "open" than ever.

For right now, please continue to work with the Openmoko community on
moving forward.  There is a lot of work to do in getting the various
software stacks onto the phone and stable.  There is also a lot to do in
moving the hardware documentation forward, as well as adapting the
documentation of the software to the actual hardware itself.

Turning in well-documented bug reports on the software will also help,
as well as promoting the Openmoko project inside your own university,
getting them to understand the true value of the project.

This will move the Openmoko project forward, even if a match with the
University is not accomplished for some reason.

Warmest regards,

maddog