Re: The University of São Paulo's intent to join Openmoko development

Michal Brzozowski rusolis at poczta.fm
Tue Jul 14 23:39:00 CEST 2009

2009/7/14 Jon 'maddog' Hall <maddog at li.org>

> Levy,
>
> > and would
> > like to know if is something that I could do to participate on this
> > new effort opened by you.
> >
> First I want to say that I do not consider this a "new effort", but a
> continuation of the effort that the Openmoko community started.  If I
> "opened" something, it is only a door to help the community move
> forward.  This, by the way, is one of the things I "do", and I have done
> it many, many times before.

Could you clarify a bit what exactly is the goal of this effort? Is it just
designing a line of "open hardware" mobile devices (that's what it sounds
like), and selling them to manufacturers?  Or do they also want to help
improve the software, like kernel, fso, x11 drivers, etc for the Neo?

My feeling is that the GTA02 device itself is in pretty good shape compared
to the software it runs. So how will the community benefit from a GTA03?

Michal