why openmoko is so slow? Is it a joke?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 15 06:24:11 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 16:38 -0400, David Ford wrote:
> i don't know where you got this information, but by far and large the OM
> phones have never been touted as ready for end users by OM, or by the
> developers working on the neo1973 or freerunner software.

Actually - when first released it was supposed to be ready for the end
user (thats when I bought it - first release) - its only when it got
into the hands of users that this shown to be wrong - and at the time OM
and community thought it was nearly there so there was no concious
attempt to deceive.  Time showed how wrong we all were about how ready
the software was ...

> with occasional telephone calls.  i'm aware of a number of bugs and that
> BT doesn't yet work for me.  however there's a push the last few days on
> BT and some people have reported some successes so when i get my phone
> back from getting a buzz fix, i'll eagerly try it out.
BT as A2DP (music playback) works for me using a motorola S9 headset.
Have not tried to get GSM working through it yet.  wifi works well,
except I find it quite insensitive compared to most laptops in direct
comparison (I use wpa-supplicant, not lame attempts like mofi etc.
Perhaps my biggest beef is that the community is very much into NIH (not
invented here) and tries to (poorly) produce applications instead of
improving and using existing stuff.

> if the speaker volume is low, turn it up.  unstable?  have you updated
> software on it?  currently i am now dealing with the ar6000 kernel
> wedging and ophonekitd crashing on every other event.  otherwise it's
I have to turn the volume down or I get complaints people cant
understand me (sounds like its being overdriven, confirmed by turning
volume down) - the gains through the mic chain are not optimal, though
my phone is not buzz fixed either.  In noisy environments, the FR us
unusable as you cant hear it, and the other end hears "noise" and
environmental sounds clearer than my voice.

Using shr-unstable with a few tweaks (2.6.28 kernel, fso-abyss, ...)

BillK