why openmoko is so slow? Is it a joke?

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 11:07:53 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 6:24 AM, William Kenworthy<billk at iinet.net.au> wrote:
[...]
> BT as A2DP (music playback) works for me using a motorola S9 headset.
> Have not tried to get GSM working through it yet.  wifi works well,
> except I find it quite insensitive compared to most laptops in direct
> comparison (I use wpa-supplicant, not lame attempts like mofi etc.
> Perhaps my biggest beef is that the community is very much into NIH (not
> invented here) and tries to (poorly) produce applications instead of
> improving and using existing stuff.

M2c about WiFi follows:

* the driver autoups the interface when powered on, so udev scripts
does not configure it, you have to manually type ifup, this was
signaled and patch proposed everywhere and in the openembedded
development list too but was ignored

*  wpa_roam support is broken in OE based distro (should work fine on
debian, but I did not test it), so you may not differentiate
static/dynamic ip per network, and may have problem when changing wifi
cell

* 2.6.29 kernel has up/down issues

* 2.6.28 kernel has wow interrupts problem

* all kernels randomly crashes if you use wifi deeply

* peoples laughs when taking several minutes to launch terminal and vi
to connect to their home network

* GUI software does not take care of TLS/TTLS/PEAP/LEAP and so on

And most important, it seems there is absolutely no care from the
community about WiFi in general, for example the 2.6.29 kernel bug was
openened 3 months ago, I understand the kernel is mantained by
volounters, but they may be not involved in a problem that seems does
not affects anyone (same words I read about FSO and bt support).

Of course (according to the sentence "fix it by yourself") on my
freerunner I'm able to use wifi patching manually the kernel, or
downgrading it, playing with udev scripts , editing
wpa_supplicant.conf, and for a couple of week I'm experimenting some
sort of dbus driven wpa_supplicant with success.

So it works for me (some random kernel ops), and works for you, but
saying WiFi works fine on freerunner may seems a joke IMHO.

Regards

     Nicola