using a FreeRunner without cellular service

Angus Ainslie nytowl at openmoko.org
Wed Jul 15 15:26:59 CEST 2009

On July 15, 2009 12:29:06 am Brolin Empey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am planning on buying a FreeRunner.  I need to check with my carrier
> (Speak Out Wireless in Canada) about cellular usage outside of my home
> area, but I may want to use my FreeRunner without cellular service.  Is
> this possible?  Does it work well?  Do I have to remove my SIM or can I
> disable the cellular service without removing the SIM?  I do not have a
> data plan. I guess the FreeRunner should work fine without cellular service
> since it is more of a handheld computer with phone functionality than only
> a cell phone, but I have never used any Openmoko phone so I do not know.
> My Nokia 6103b is actually my first and only cell phone because I have had
> a cell phone only since 2008, so I am relatively new to cell phones.  I am
> young (0x16, which my dad says means I can drive in Silicon Valley. ;)) and
> am a computer enthusiast, though, so I can easily learn new
> computer-related things.
>
> Thanks,
> Brolin

The SIM I use for testing is a speakout wireless SIM so there is no problem
with getting it to work with them. They have service anywhere in Canada that
rogers has service but you will be SOL anywhere else including the states. If
you're planning to travel out of Canada it is infinitely cheaper just to buy a
SIM card when you arrive at your destination than paying overpriced Canadian
rates. This sometimes requires the help of a citizen of the country but
usually only requires a credit card.

I also regularly use a freerunner as a bike GPS and there are no problems
running it without a SIM if you are running an A7. My A5 on the other hand
does have GPS issues if it can't get a valid cell signal. If you purchase it
new you can chose A6 or A7 , I'd advise the A7.

Angus