Freerunner Chat Application: Suggestions wanted!

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Thu Jul 16 10:06:31 CEST 2009

Hi!

Sound's good! What 'chat' protocols: Instant messengers (like
Jabber/XMPP, msn, facebook chat..) or irc? I'd really like to see
something that supports facebook chat (Hmm.. pidgin supports it on
desktop, I wonder if someone could be able to add it to the arm
version too..)

> Which protocols have the highest demand for implementation?
My suggestion is Jabber & Facebook. Many people have irc clients
(=irssi) running on a server connectable over ssh.

> How should it deal with multiple concurrent chat sessions?
Maybe tabs? First tab would show contacts, the rest would show the
open chat windows

> How should the user be notified when a new chat message is recieved?
option to select between audio/vibra/something?

> Should logging be implemented?
Not very important for me but if doable, why not.

I've come to the conclusion that it makes no sense to add small
buttons in top/bottom bar. It's faster to use large buttons in menu,
that's shown when clicked on top/bottom of the screen thus increasing
the size of the clickable area -> making it faster to use. I know this
measn more clicking but - it's just faster to click 2 times on a large
area than once in a very small area.. -> We have a good resolution but
let's not be overwhelmed by that and do bad designs.. THat's why I
like Zhone: press button, a menu opens and you have big buttons to
press with your fingers. Especially I noticed this when I was biking
and trying to change the font size in vala-terminal - with my finger.
It just doesn't happen..

-> big menu buttons that are seen after pressing a smaller button/area.

waiting to see the first screenshots :)