Freerunner Chat Application: Suggestions wanted!

Dave Ball openmoko at underhand.org
Thu Jul 16 17:18:44 CEST 2009

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 01:16:09PM +0100, Michael Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Alex Teiche wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I recently recieved my A6 FreeRunner, and have been looking for some coding
>>> to do:)  I plan on writing a chat application(similar to Pidgin) optomized
>>> for the small screen.  I was wondering what suggestions the community had
>>> before I get too far into it.
>>>
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>>  I'm actually currently working on a project similar to this using
>> elementary and telepathy; I haven't made it particularly public yet as
>> it's only in a very roughly usable state and I think I still need to
>> spend some time updating some of the telepathy packages in OE before
>> it's easy to install directly on the device (there are easy to install
>> debian/ubuntu packages though).
>>

> Release early, release often, have a public repository for sources, issues,
> etc... works best even if your first releases only have basic functionality.
>
> Go, go, go, go! Mike :)

+lots

I love the concept here - bringing together a contact and all your
contact with them (through whatever medium), and using the best method
for reaching them.  What's the odds of integrating this with google
voice or similar roaming-number service?

I don't know where FSO is at with a comprehensive contacts database
(i.e. beyond sim stored data), but it might be worth talking to them
about integrating your contacts store needs as an FSO api?

Cheers,
Dave