Freerunner Chat Application: Suggestions wanted!

Alex Teiche xelapond at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 18:48:04 CEST 2009

Wow everyone, thanks for all your suggestions!

@Michael:  Thanks for the offer, but I don't think its really worth the
learning curve of figuring out your whole code base.  We've got how many GPS
or Web Browser apps now?  Two more IM Clients can't hurt:)

Here are the things I have decided to implement for now:
* GUI Is definately going to be Elementary
* Backend is _probably_ going to be telepathy, though I am still considering
libpurple
* I am going to start from scratch, not write a new GUI for Pidgin.  I would
rather stay away from Pidgin after the whole forking over text box resizing
fiasco last summer.
* I will not implement IRC, because I assume most people that would want to
IRC from the FreeRunner know how or have set up an irssi+screen server
somewhere.
* I am trying to keep the scope of this very low, and just support the basic
necessities of a chat program(including conurrent sessions).  A lot of apps
on the FreeRunner are pretty slow, and I don't think hardware is solely to
blame.  I would rather have a faster program then a more featureful one.
* I am going to avoid small buttons, and instead opt for a large menu that
can pull down.

Thanks again for your encouragement everyone!

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Sebastian Krzyszkowiak <seba.dos1 at gmail.com