Re: The University of São Paulo's intent to join Openmoko development

Warren Baird wjbaird at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jul 16 20:19:37 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Sebastian Krzyszkowiak <seba.dos1 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On 7/16/09, Warren Baird <wjbaird at alumni.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> > I hope you are are right that eventually the software will be in better
> > shape than the hardware.   I must admit that in my less optimistic
> moments,
> > I wonder about that.   The progress towards a stable, easily usable
> distro
> > for the FR has been slow.
>
> I must disagree. SHR is progressing really fast, almost every day
> there is work on it or FSO, which SHR uses.  There are also many
> initiatives unvisible from normal user's point of view, but
> development moves forward very quickly.
>
> There will be soon opimd integration, SHR Installer, and few other
> things. And after that - UI dbusification will allow everyone to make
> use of phone apps in his own scripts, which can bring UI consistense
> really easly.
>
> I feel that *now* FR software is much better than every time before.
> And it seems it still will be enhanced, just give it some time ;)

Hmm - maybe I need to try SHR when I get my phone back from it's buzz-fixing
journey.   I must admit that only end-user experiences I've had with the FR
have been with OM 2008, QtE and QtEI, and the OM2009 TRs.

I would certainly agree that the software stack is making progress.
However, in the course of the year I've had an FR, I've seen it go from
completely unusable and unstable software (OM 2008) to relatively usable (as
a phone) software (QtE) to relatively stable and slightly usable (OM2009
TRs).   To me, that seems like slow progress...   In my opinion, it seems
like we're only now starting to approach the point we should have been at
when the FR was released.

If SHR is substantially improved compared to the OM2009 TRs, then perhaps I
need to withdraw my statement.    That would in fact make me very happy!

Warren

--
Warren Baird - Photographer and Digital Artist
http://www.synergisticimages.ca