I need a cookbook. Pleeeease...

Damian Spriggs damianspriggs at mac.com
Sat Jul 18 17:53:19 CEST 2009

On Jul 18, 2009, at 9:12 AM, lists at kitepilot.com wrote:

> Done with the apology, I hope someone here can provide me a simple
> cookbook
> to change this QT thing to the latest Openmoko.

Not a full cookbook, but the 2 quickest/easiest recipes. (No
disrespect to the OM and SHR teams, but they take a bit more low level
knowledge and way more time to get a fully working phone.) After you
get one of these installed (or both. They live nicely together on my
phone), I recommend reading up on the other distros available, and
picking one you feel comfortable with. Anyway, on with the "cooking":

"Android Snack"
This is sort of the "microwave pizza" distro. Quick, simple, filling
the basic needs, but it lacks the satisfying "I can hack the planet
from my phone!" feeling.

Ingredients:
Computer (any flavor)
Freerunner (duh)
1 SD card reader (attached to above computer)
1 SD card, FAT formatted (the 512k one that came with the Freerunner
will work fine)
Latest Android for Freerunner release [1]

Directions:
- Open up the Freerunner and remove the SD card [2]
- Insert card into card reader and mount on computer
- Download the Android zip file and unzip.
- Copy all the files from inside the folder to the SD card. Do not
just copy the folder over
- Reassemble the Freerunner and plug in.
- Power on the Freerunner while holding down the AUX button [3]
- At the boot menu, press the AUX key until "Boot from microSD (FAT
+ext2) is selected, then press the power button
- Watch text scroll by as Android installs itself onto the phone
- When it's done, it will reboot itself. You will first see a Koolu
splash screen, then an Android one. The first boot may take a few
minutes, so just be patient
- Android is installed, and ready to use. More usage information can
be found at Googles Android site [4]

"Hackable:1 Takeout"
This distro has the "Everything, including the kitchen sink" approach
that comes with Debian. It takes some basic Linux knowledge, but it's
fast and fairly stable. It lives on the SD card, so you can dual boot.

Ingredients:
Computer (Linux based, distro doesn't matter. Mac or Win works, but
they need special tools)
Freerunner (again, duh)
1 SD card reader (attached to above computer)
1 SD card, FAT and ext2 formatted, details below (minimum 1Gig, but I
recommend an 8Gig Trancend card. I've used it without any problems)
  Latest Hackable:1 for Freerunner boot and file system files
(currently Rev4) [5] [6]

Directions:
The Hackable:1 team already wrote up some good installation docs on
their wiki [7]

[1] http://koolu.org/releases/cupcake-1.5-alpha1/android-freerunner-koolu1.5-alpha-1.zip
[2] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Getting_Started_with_your_Neo_FreeRunner#Installing_the_Micro-SD_card.2C_the_SIM_card.2C_and_the_Battery
[3] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Getting_Started_with_your_Neo_FreeRunner#Buttons_and_connectors