using a FreeRunner without cellular service

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen ccc94453 at vip.cybercity.dk
Sat Jul 18 12:56:20 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:29:06PM -0700, Brolin Empey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am planning on buying a FreeRunner.  I need to check with my carrier
> (Speak Out Wireless in Canada) about cellular usage outside of my home area,
> but I may want to use my FreeRunner without cellular service.

> Is this possible?  Does it work well?

   Yes, it works fine. That's how I use mine most of time. No problems with
that on OM2007.2, OM2008.x, OM2009, SHR or Debian.

> Do I have to remove my SIM or can I disable
> the cellular service without removing the SIM?

   On any of the distributions based on FSO, simply don't run anything that
uses the GSM modem. Then it won't be turned on. Additionally, without a SIM
card, the GSM modem will refuse to turn on the transmitter and receiver.

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen